Do you have a flight with Southwest Airlines? You must be aware of the baggage policy of the airline to have a smooth boarding process with the airline. Moreover, Southwest Airlines baggage policy has been designed while keeping your considerations in mind. So read the following blog to explore the airline’s baggage policy and pack your luggage accordingly. Let’s proceed further to check out the details of the baggage policy of Southwest.
To clear all your doubts regarding the airline’s baggage policy, read the following blog.
What is the Southwest carry-on baggage allowance?
With Southwest Airlines, you can bring one carry-on bag and one personal item on the flight for free. However, both items should meet the size requirements.
- Your carry-on bag goes in the overhead bin as per the Southwest Airlines carry on baggage policy.
- The maximum size of the bag should not exceed 24” (L) + 16” (W) + 10” (H).
- The carry-on bag includes a small suitcase, roller bag, etc.
- If your carry-on item exceeds this limit, you will have to check your bag.
- Moreover, make sure to cover any sharp object if you are traveling with one. It will help prevent injuries.
- You must place your personal item under the seat.
- The size limits of the personal item are 16.25” (L) x 13.5” (W) x 8” (H)* as per the Southwest Airlines baggage rules. It should fit under the seat in front of you.
- If your bag is unable to fit under the seat, or there is no seat in your front, talk to the flight attendants. They may help you find a place in the overhead bin.
- Moreover, you can bring a purse, backpack, camera, laptop bag, etc., as your personal item.
What is the Southwest checked baggage allowance?
Each passenger of Southwest can bring two checked bags on the flight for free. Moreover, your skis and golf bags count towards the free checked baggage allowance as long as they comply with the Southwest luggage weight limit and size limit. You can check your bag at the self-service kiosk at the airport. Or, get in touch with the Southwest executives to check your bag without any hassle.
- The maximum weight of both checked bags should be 50 pounds each.
- The size of the checked bag should not be more than 62 inches.
- Moreover, you will have to pay $75 per bag to travel with extra checked bags.
- For overweight and oversize bags, an additional $75 will be charged.
- The oversized bag should not exceed 80 inches, and the overweight bag must not be more than 100 pounds.
- According to Southwest Airlines luggage policy, the airline doesn’t accept bags exceeding these limits.
- If you are traveling internationally, you can’t check your bags at the curbside. Go to the ticket counter at the airport to check your bags.
- Moreover, you have to check your baggage at least 60 minutes prior to the flight departure.
- Southwest doesn’t allow self-defense sprays and defective or damaged lithium batteries in your luggage.
What is the Southwest baggage fee?
Southwest is a very kind airline, and it has a user-friendly baggage policy. The baggage fee of the airline is minimal, which allows you to travel with your essential luggage on Southwest at affordable prices.
- Southwest Airlines permits one personal item, one carry-on, and two checked bags on the flight for free.
- However, if you travel with extra bags on the flight, you will have to pay $75 as additional fees.
- If you are traveling with overweight and oversize baggage, the airline will charge $75 as an additional fee.
What items are not permitted as personal or carry-on items?
When you travel with Southwest, you can bring a carry-on and personal items for free. However, there are some things that you can’t bring on the flight as carry-on items or personal items.
Did you make a Southwest Airlines booking and are now ready to fly with the airline? Check out the following list, and learn what you can’t bring as a personal item or a carry-on item.
- Food in disposable packaging
- A child restraint system
- Assistive/mobility devices for individuals with a disability
- Walking canes or umbrellas
- Outer garments or other wearable articles of clothing.
What are the checked baggage rules for military officials?
Are you an active-duty military member? Do you have a valid military ID? If yes, you must feel happy because Southwest permits you to travel with extra checked baggage for free. Moreover, there will not be any charges for overweight and oversized bags for you. However, your checked bags should not exceed 80 inches in size and 100 pounds in weight as per the Southwest Airlines baggage policy. Bags exceeding 80 inches size limit will not be considered as checked bags. However, it can be shipped as cargo.
What if my baggage is lost?
Did you somehow lose your baggage on the flight or at the airport? There is no need to worry because the airline agents will try their best to get your baggage back to you in no time. Go to the “Baggage Service Desk” at the airport, and file a complaint about your lost baggage. However, you can directly connect with the airline executives if you have already left the airport.
When you make a seat reservation on Southwest, you get to enjoy plenty of impeccable services. Whether your baggage is lost or delayed, the airline representatives will help you with all your concerns. Either visit the lost baggage desk or call (888) 202-1024 to register a complaint, and stay worry-free as you will get your baggage back at the earliest.
Can I bring sports equipment on the flight?
Yes, you can bring sports equipment on the flight as a checked bag for free. However, there are certain restrictions that you should know before bringing any equipment. Moreover, the sports item should not exceed 62 inches in size and 50 pounds in weight. Some of the sports items that you can bring on the flight are-
- Archery equipment
- Baseball and softball equipment
- Bowling equipment
- Scuba equipment
- Skateboards and scooters
- Tennis equipment
- Fencing equipment
- Kneeboards, waterboards, boogie boards
- Golf equipment
- Snow ski equipment
- Water ski equipment
Can I travel with dry cell batteries?
Yes, dry cell batteries are permitted in carry-on and checked baggage. The dry cell batteries include Carbon Zinc, Silver Oxide, Nickel Metal Hydride (NiMH), NiCad, and Alkaline batteries. These batteries are installed in commonly used electronic devices and flashlights.
However, you must protect these batteries from creating sparks and damage. If the device is installed, you must protect it from installation. You should also prefer to remove batteries to prevent short circuits.
Am I allowed to check alcohol in my luggage?
Yes, the airline allows alcohol in the checked luggage. However, certain conditions have to be met.
- Alcohol should be in the unopened container when transported as checked luggage.
- The content of alcohol should not exceed 70% by volume.
- Wine and liquor packaging is available for sale at the ticket counter of the airline.
- All liquor will be subject to TSA screening.
- Alcohol in the checked baggage should be packed in a leak-proof bag.
- The maximum quantity of liquor that is allowed is 5 liters per customer.
Keep all these important points in mind, and bring alcohol on the flight without any hassle.
Summing it up
I hope now you don’t have any doubts regarding the airline’s baggage policy. Check out all the restrictions carefully to pack your bags accordingly. If you still have any doubts, give a call at the phone number of the airline. The Southwest representatives will help you with all your questions.
See More Related Post:
FAQs- Southwest Airlines Baggage Policy
How many bags can you take on Southwest Airlines for free?
Passengers of Southwest can bring one personal item and one carry-on bag for free on the flight. Moreover, they can also travel with two free checked bags.
Can I have 2 carry-on bags on Southwest?
No. As per the TSA rules and regulations, you can only travel with one carry-on bag on the flight. Additionally, you can bring one small personal item for free.
Does Southwest give you a free carry-on?
Yes, you can travel with a free carry-on bag with Southwest Airlines. Moreover, you can also bring one small personal item for free.
What is not allowed in a carry-on?
Fireworks, ammunition, and firearms are prohibited in the carry-on bag. Moreover, straight razors and replacement blades are also not permitted.
Does a pillow count as a carry-on Southwest?
Pillows are usually personal items until they can be stored under the seat. However, if the pillow is too big, then it needs to be packed in a carry-on bag.
Can you bring food through TSA Southwest?
Yes, Southwest allows passengers to pack food in their carry-on or checked bag. However, all food items will undergo x-ray screening.